Subject: Re: bond procfs hw addr prints

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 17:28:04 -0700

Jarod Wilson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I've got a bug report for someone using a Intel OPA devices in a bond, and
>it appears these devices have a hardware address length of 20, opposed to
>the typical 6 on ethernet. When they dump /proc/net/bonding/bondX, it only
>prints the first 6 of the address, per %pM and mac_address_string(), while
>sysfs for the interface does print the right thing, since it uses
>sysfs_print_mac(), which takes a length argument.

	This (20 octet MAC length) is true for any Infiniband device.

>So the question is... What's the best route to take here? Expand %pM to
>support variable length hardware addresses? Use sysfs_* in procfs?
>Reinvent the wheel? Nothing I've tinkered with just yet feels very clean,
>on top of not actually working yet. :)

	sysfs_format_mac (not _print_mac) uses "%*phC", len, addr in its
format string.  Perhaps that format would be a better choice than %pM
for this case?

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, [email-masked]