Subject: RE: e1000 performance hack for ppc64 (Power4)

From: Dave Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 09:21:03 -0700

Too long to quote:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105538879600001&r=1&w=2

Wouldn't you get most of the benefit from copying that stuff around in
the driver if you allocated the skb->data aligned in the first place? 

There's already code to align them on CPU cache boundaries:
#define SKB_DATA_ALIGN(X)       (((X) + (SMP_CACHE_BYTES - 1)) & \
                                 ~(SMP_CACHE_BYTES - 1))

So, do something like this:
#ifdef ARCH_ALIGN_SKB_BYTES
#define SKB_ALIGN_BYTES ARCH_ALIGN_SKB_BYTES
#else
#define SKB_ALIGN_BYTES SMP_CACHE_BYTES
#endif
#define SKB_DATA_ALIGN(X)       (((X) + (ARCH_ALIGN_SKB - 1)) & \
                                 ~(SKB_ALIGN_BYTES - 1))

You could easily make this adaptive to no align on th arch size when the
request is bigger than that, just like in the e1000 patch you posted.  
-- 
Dave Hansen
[email-masked]