Subject: Re: net: generic netdev_ioaddr

From: Pekka Enberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:52:26 +0300

Hi,

Al Viro <[email-masked]> writes:
> > What uses ->base_addr from the data returned by SIOCGIFMAP?

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 23:13 +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> ifconfig I think:

[snip] 

> With this driver it happens to be MMIO address.
> 
> I understand presenting this value to users might have some value:
> it can help determine the physical port/card for a given netdev.
> But it should be something like a description text set by the driver
> (ie. containing PCI bus/device, or even ISA address for ISA non-PnP
> card, possibly with other information).

It seems that the user can also setup dev->base_addr with "netdev="
kernel parameter before a driver starts probing (for example
drivers/net/appletalk/cops.c). Should we get rid of "netdev=" too and
push preconfiguring down to the drivers that actually use it?

		Pekka