Subject: Re: patch: Action repeat

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:51:49 -0400

On Sat, 2005-30-04 at 20:13 +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Since it only has such a short lifetime (action function sets it,
> tcf_action_exec() clears it after changing classification result),
> it would be less wasteful to just pass the classification result
> to the actions. This would also avoid that skbs with tc_classid
> already set can reach tcf_action_exec() (for example through mirred).
> 
> What do you think?

You mean not passing it back via skbs but through something else?
What do you have in mind?
It does sound distasteful for either changing the ->act()
parametrization just so we can have a classid passed back or provide a
spot for it in struct tc_action since only some actions will need to
change it. 

I see the issue with classid leaking - perhaps specific actions could
reset it when they steal packets? We should also reset it if the packet
is stolen.

cheers,
jamal

[In the long run really the classid setting should be per action
setting;
i.e when a user sets "flowid X:Y" they are explictly saying " action
metaset class X:Y";]