Subject: Re: [0/5] Improvements to the ieee80211 layer

From: Zhu Yi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:55:16 +0800

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 15:07 +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:
> The ieee80211 layer, now present in -mm, lacks many important features
> (actually it's just a part of the ipw2100/ipw2200 driver; these cards do
> a lot of the processing in the hardware/firmware and thus the layer
> currently can not be used for simpler devices).
> 
> This is the first series of patches that try to convert it to a generic
> IEEE 802.11 layer, usable for most of today's wireless cards.
> 
> The long term plan is:
> - to implement a complete 802.11 stack in the kernel, making it easy to
>   write drivers for simple (cheap) devices
> - to implement all of Ad-Hoc, AP and monitor modes in the layer, so it
>   will be easy to support them in the drivers
> - to integrate Wireless Extensions to unify the kernel-userspace
>   interface of all the drivers

Do you just clean up current ieee80211 code to still do 802.11 <-> 802.3
conversion inside the driver or you plan to handle real 802.11 frames in
the stack like this?
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/netdev/2005-03/msg01405.html

Thanks,
-yi