Subject: Re: wireless: recap of current issues (other issues)

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:35:11 +0100

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 17:24 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:

> Radiotap headers make sense for an rfmon virtual device.  I don't
> think it makes sense for "normal" usage.  Should there be an option
> for radiotap headers on non-rfmon links?

Yes. For hardware debugging.

> Rfmon interferes w/ other interfaces, but may be handy to enter/leave
> w/ little effort.  Perhaps a config option for physical device to
> suspend/resume all (non-rfmon) virtual devices before/after enabling
> rfmon virtual device?  (Would multiple rfmon devices even make sense?
> If not, is it worth restricting that?)

Multiple rfmon devices make sense in hypothetical or future hardware if
different channels are supported on one WiPHY at once, but the rfmon
device shall be restricted to a single one. Since we probably need a way
to deactivate virtual devices anyway, having a config option to
suspend/resume all others doesn't make sense -- userspace programs can
just as well cycle over them and do it themselves.

johannes