Subject: Re: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

From: Alejandro Bonilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:20:03 -0600

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 17:19 -0500, John Stoffel wrote:
> >>>>> "Matthieu" == Matthieu CASTET <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Matthieu> I will say, why not put the restriction of the firmware
> Matthieu> binary blob ?  It run on the device so it will be difficult
> Matthieu> for people to analyse it.
> 
> So what do I do when I take my US laptop and fly to country X, which
> has comletely different rules for these radios?  Do I have to re-flash
> my firmware to make it work properly?  

Intel has got the obligation to make sure they are not letting you use
not allowed channels. If you as a manufacturer allow with a certain
change to let people use the channels they want, you are actually
encouraging people to use those channels. Letting the option available
makes Intel liable to get sued. If you buy an US PC, you stick to the US
channels. If you are a world traveler, buy the PC in japan or in Europe.
Then, you will be able to use the US and ROW(Rest of World) channels.

This is just the way it works, else you are liable. Believe me, and not
only me. Intel does not do things to give you a hard time, it is because
of a reason and they have the best lawyers at it.

It is just the Law and the FCC's.

.Alejandro

> 
> The big problem is the lack of global unity, but that will slowly get
> fixes as more countries realize it's a problem.  The big issue will be
> military/govt radio spectrum users, they won't want to move if they
> can help it.
> 
> John