Subject: softmac: semantics of SIOCSIWFREQ

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:34:48 +0200

[breaking out to a new thread so discussion on this doesn't get too
hidden, CC Jean since he designed this]

> - Is SIOCSIWFREQ allowed while associated?

No idea.

> - If the flag IW_FREQ_FIXED is set, should all activitity
>   including scanning only be allowed on this frequency? (Actually
>   a better would even be to work with channel/frequency sets.
>   These sets would make a lot of sense for parallel scanning
>   whith more than one device.)

Yeah, but that's impossible to code on top of the current wext
structures I'd say.

> - Is there any use of the control, if the frequency is not fixed?

Good question :)

> SIOCSIWFREQ and SIOCGIWFREQ appear to be good candidates to be
> included in the softmac. If I would have a rough idea, what the
> semantics should be, I would even volunteer to implement it.

Yes, they definitely could/should be moved into softmac, but when
writing softmac I had no real incentive to do it because I didn't want
to dig up the info for all the above points :)

I was thinking of adding all the 'what is this ioctl supposed to do'
things we came up with to the softmac or netdev wiki. Would that be
good/useful, or should we just put it into that driver writers guide?

johannes