Subject: Re: [PATCH 16/17] d80211: fix monitor interfaces

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:52:58 +0200

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 22:49 +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:
> 
> "Hard" monitor mode means the card is operating in a true rfmon mode -
> i.e. you get everything on the given channel. "Soft" monitor mode means
> that you will get only frames the device is willing to give you at the
> time - this probably means only frames belonging to your BSS in case of
> fullmac cards. 

Ok, thanks for clarifying; this description should be somewhere in the
comments or so IMHO.

> and this will work - independently of the value of monitor_during_oper.
> The difference is that in case of monitor_during_oper == 0, you won't
> probably receive much more frames from mon0 than from sta0. But - you
> will most likely receive beacons on mon0 and also monitoring headers
> (prism2 headers presently).

This I don't understand, doesn't the UI kind of suck as opposed to just
putting the sta0 device into promisc mode?

johannes