Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2][RFC] Network Event Notifier Mechanism

From: Steve Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:24:43 -0500

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 20:56 -0400, jamal wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-22-06 at 15:58 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> 
> > Anyways, we can create normal notifiers for neighbour and route
> > events just like we have for network device stuff.
> >

So did you agree with a new notifier head for these events as in my
original patch?  Or do you think I should add these to the netdev
notifier?  

> > There should be netlink counterparts for that stuff too, which
> > are generated by the notifier calls or similar.
> 

Ok.

> PS:- I do think what they need is to hear route cache generation
> as opposed to ARP+FIB updates; but lets wait and see how clever 
> the patches would look.
> 

Based on what I undestand from this thread, I should keep a notifier
block for these events and integrate that so the events also get passed
up to user space via netlink.  

Can you expand on your statement above?  If hooking route cache
generation gets all the events I described, then I'd like to use that.
I'm still learning the Linux routing subsystem.  Any help would be
GREAT!

Thanks,

Steve.