Subject: Can we have GET_NETDEV_DEV?

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:52:25 -0400

Hello!

gregkh-driver-network-class_device-to-device.patch, which briefly
appeared in Linux 2.6.18-rc1-mm1 broke MadWifi, which is copying the
physical device information from the master network device to the
virtual network devices:

SET_NETDEV_DEV(dev, mdev->class_dev.dev);

The same code exists in hostap.  The patch is gone from 2.6.18-rc1-mm2,
but I'd like to be prepared if it reappears.

An easy solution would be to have GET_NETDEV_DEV macro.  Then the
drivers could do this:

SET_NETDEV_DEV(dev, GET_NETDEV_DEV(mdev));

without having to worry about the internals of struct net_device.  It
should be done before class_dev is removed or in the same time.

Should I send a patch?

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin