Subject: Re: [RFC 1/4] kevent: core files.

From: Nicholas Miell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:54:51 -0700

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 19:48 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:32:42PM -0700, Nicholas Miell ([email-masked]) wrote:
> > Speaking of API design choices, I saw your OLS paper and was wondering
> > if you were familiar with the Solaris port APIs* and, if so, you could
> > please comment on how your proposed event channels are different/better.
> 
> As far as it concerns kevents - userspace "ports" are just usual users
> of kevents, like timer notifications. Add another syscall to "complete"
> requested kevents and you get exactly Solaris ports.
> It is fairly simple to implement on top of kevents, I just do not see
> immediate benefits from that.
> 

Sorry, I wasn't talking about kevent, I was talking about the interfaces
described in "The Need for Asynchronous, Zero-Copy Network I/O" by
Ulrich Drepper -- specifically the ec_t type and related functions and
the modifications to struct sigevent.

-- 
Nicholas Miell <[email-masked]>