Subject: Re: [d80211 rfc] link master interface from wiphy

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:18:08 +0200

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 19:05 +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:

> Btw, we will probably need some way to ask d80211 about all interfaces
> belonging to given wiphy anyway. Crawling all network interfaces and
> searching for correct wiphy symlinks is probably not the best way. I
> think a new netlink interface can be used for this.

Yeah, that should be fairly easy.

> > wpa_supplicant could use this, I guess. I think 
> > another link to wlan#ap should be created (or does wpa_supplicant set 
> > the name of that so it knows which one it will get?), or something like 
> > that anyway.
> 
> wmgmt# will go away in future. There is an ioctl to get its ifindex, so
> no need for the link.

Right, Jouni pointed that out already. Forget what I said :) Besides,
I'm already working hard on deprecating it :P

> What do you mean by "making the virtual devices all children of the
> wiphy"? Currently, all virtual devices (of one physical device) have the
> same pointer to ieee80211_local in their net_dev structure and pointers
> to them are stored in the linked list in ieee80211_local.

I was wondering why they in sysfs have their device link set to the
physical device instead of the master wiphy. I'm not sure if the latter
makes sense though.

> Do you know about /sys/class/net/X/wiphy symlinks?

yes, I'm actually using them :)

Thanks,
johannes