Subject: Re: [PATCH 2.6.17 2/9] NetXen: Hardware access routines

From: Sanjeev Jorapur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:23:17 -0700

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 07:03 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:57:23 +0530
> "Amit S. Kale" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > We can certainly create a table for all error messages. It'll hurt readability 
> > of code in many of the other places where printks are used to indicate some 
> > hardware error.
> > -Amit
> 
> My suggestion was intended as an way to handle multiple driver versions
> all using the same firmware or vice versa. By locking the firmware and
> driver version together you might make maintenance more difficult.

We misunderstood your earlier comment. The compatible driver & firmware
images have the same major & minor version numbers. Only the sub-version
numbers may be different. This gives us more flexibility in releasing
driver & firmware fixes.

Sanjeev.