Subject: Re: [patch 5/5] d80211: add ioctl to stop data frame tx

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:23:37 +0200

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 09:01 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> Well, it would be nice to get these in quite soon. I know that the
> current mechanism works since it has been used for years, but if the
> netlink-based solution is considered stable and working and unlikely to
> require major changes soon, I don't have anything against using it here.

:)
May I ask you to take a look at nl80211 to see if it matches your
expectations/needs? It obviously needs to be expanded and we may want to
add some multicast groups that applications can subscribe to for scan
results/radar detection/management frames/...
What really should be done soon is implementing transmit status
notification for injected packets since injection is already working. I
just happen to not need it at the moment and have a bunch of other
things to do.

> Once there is mechanism to replace all the current functionality, I
> would just drop it. There is some meta information, like signal
> strength, in the header, so this does not only include event
> notifications, but also additional data for frames.

That meta information can be transmitted through other channels too
though :)

johannes