Subject: Re: [RFC] [PATCH 0/3] Add Regulatory Domain support to d80211

From: Dan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:33:03 -0400

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 11:04 -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Dan Williams <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > While wpa_supplicant is certainly the main client for stuff directly
> > related to setting up a connection, there are quite a few other users of
> > general WE calls to pull information out of the card, or to receive scan
> > events.
> 
> How about we just ditch iwconfig completely and move on to
> wpa_supplicant/wpa_cli as our next userspace application with
> nl80211/cg80211 as our new API for usersapce-->kernel communication?
> As you point out, wpa_supplicant already does a lot for us -- and
> several distributions already rely on it. Some work is required but I
> think its worth it. If we do a complete move from WE to nl80211 it
> would be transparent to the users too.

The one blocker I can think of here is startup scripts on various
distributions.  Most of those are shell, and they usually rely on
iwconfig quite heavily.  Getting those converted to wpa_supplicant
wouldn't be a trivial amount of work, but it wouldn't be a ton either.

Dan