Subject: Re: [PATCH] s2io ppc64 fix for readq/writeq

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:04:08 +1100

> This seems a bit ugly.  Could you add
> 
> 	#define readq readq
> 
> to your platform instead?

That's ugly too imho but I suppose I can do it :-)

> I generally think it's a bug in the kernel-wide API, if use of said API 
> requires arch-specific ifdefs.

Yes. I agree. In that specific case, I suppose what you propose is the
least ugly of the solutions. HAVE_ARCH_* is pretty much out of fascion
(and I tend to agree with Linus that it's not pretty anyway).

Actually, I tend to think in that specific case that the driver defining
something called readq and writeq based on a pair of readl's and
writel's is fairly bogus though.

> Or maybe the problem could be solved another way, by guaranteeing that a 
> "good enough for drivers" readq() and writeq() exist on all platforms, 
> even 32-bit platforms where the operation isn't inherently atomic.

I'd rather not provide readq/writeq if they aren't atomic.

Ben.