Subject: Re: iwlwifi initial bugs/thanks

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:18:36 -0500

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 14:13 -0500, Jason Lunz wrote:
> The "_rename" suffix is an indication that you have udev rules that are
> attempting to assign the same name to two different netdevs. Try to
> disable udev device renaming, or make the rules more specific.
> 
> The attached kernel patch makes it easier to figure out what udev is
> trying to do in situations like yours. It keeps getting rejected from
> linux upstream, but that could change with enough encouragement.

I think it's a good idea.  Many drivers use the device name in the
diagnostic messages.  What's the point in seeing "wlan0: buffer
overflow" if there is no way to find out from the log what that "wlan0"
used to be?

> +		if (strncmp(newname, dev->name, IFNAMSIZ))
> +			printk(KERN_INFO "%s renamed to %s\n", dev->name, newname);

I think KERN_INFO is the right level, but maybe KERN_DEBUG would be more
readily accepted.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642