Subject: Re: intermittant petabyte usage reported with broadcom nic

From: "Michael Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:20:01 -0700

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 17:41 +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:13:00AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:43:19 +1000 CaT <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > > I take minute by minute snapshots of network traffic by sampling
> > > /proc/net/dev and most of the time everything works fine. Occasionally
> > > though I get petabyte byte traffic and corresponding packet traffic.
> > 
> > How frequently?
> 
> I can count about 6 over the past month.
> 
I did a quick test on a 64-bit kernel and did not see any problem with
the counters.  I'll ask the lab to set up a longer term test and monitor
the counters for bogus values.

I also like Andi's idea of using change_page_attr() to isolate the
problem.  I'll try to send you a debug patch in the next few days to try
that out.  Thanks.