Subject: Re: REGRESSION: panic on e1000 driver

From: Doug Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:16:09 -0400

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 11:08 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 05:22:30PM -0400, Doug Chapman wrote:
> > 
> > but once again broken just yesterday by the following commit.  I have
> > backed just this commit out and verified I no longer panic.
> 
> Hmm, the only way I can see this happening is if the hardware signals
> an interrupt even though we've explicitly shut it off.  Does this patch
> help? If it does help, does it produce the warning in dmesg?
> 
> Thanks,

The patch does fix the panic.  Here are all the e1000 messages from
dmesg after a bootup.  Note that only eth0 is actually configured and
connected:

# dmesg | grep e1000
e1000: 0000:01:02.0: e1000_probe: (PCI-X:66MHz:64-bit) 00:15:60:04:d7:f8
e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
e1000: 0000:01:02.1: e1000_probe: (PCI-X:66MHz:64-bit) 00:15:60:04:d7:f9
e1000: eth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
e1000: 0000:15:02.0: e1000_probe: (PCI-X:66MHz:64-bit) 00:12:79:9e:b7:c4
e1000: eth2: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
e1000: 0000:15:02.1: e1000_probe: (PCI-X:66MHz:64-bit) 00:12:79:9e:b7:c5
e1000: eth3: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
e1000: Unexpected interrupt icr=0x4
e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
Control: RX

- Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/