Subject: Re: [PATCH] NET: Multiqueue network device support.

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:50:31 -0400

On Mon, 2007-04-06 at 14:40 -0700, PJ Waskiewicz wrote:
> API added to support multiple hardware queues on an ethernet device.
>     Round-robin scheduler added (sch_rr) to provide a no-scheduling policy
>     qdisc for hardware with multiple queues.
> 

>>From a high level i see a good start that you at least have a separate
qdisc. I dont see the need for making any subqueue semantics in the
qdisc. We already have them.
I also still dont see the need for the patching of the prio qdisc or the
subqueue control.
I am now uncertain that after all those discussions (and a lot other
private ones) whether you understood me. We are still not meeting in the
middle. 

Sorry, Peter i dont mean to rain on your parade but i cant let this just
slide by[1]. So please give me sometime and this week i will send
patches to demonstrate my view. I didnt mean to do that, but as i see it
i have no other choice.

BTW, wheres the e1000 change?

cheers,
jamal

[1] If for example you wrote a classifier or a qdisc (as in a recent
discussion I had with Patrick) i would say it is your code and your
effort and i have the choice not to use it (by virtue of there being
other alternatives). I have no such luxury but to use the changes you
make to that code path whenever i use multi tx rings.

PS:- It is polite to CC someone who has engaged you in a conversation;
in particular as i have told you before at times i dont read netdev for
days but read emails addressed to me even when busyed out or travelling.