Subject: Re: [PATCH] NET: Multiqueue network device support.

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:08:01 -0400

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 16:53 -0700, David Miller wrote:

> There are of course other uses for multiple TX queues, and in
> particular my finer-grained locking example.
>
> I'm still amazed the TX locking issue wasn't clear to you,
> too nervous about tonight's game? :)

It's too depressing - so i came back here for a break ;->
I cant even stand Don Cherry today.

As a side note: You will have to do a lot of surgery to the current code
to make tx run on multi CPUs. It needs some experimenting to get right.
And i am begining to like Herberts changes ;->
I am not against multi-rings; iam just suggesting an alternative
approach which is less disruptive.

In regards to the tx lock - my thinking is resolving that via tx
batching. You amortize the lock over multiple packets. There may be
value in fine grained locking - i need to think about it. A small
extension to the batching patches will provide the change i am
proposing.

cheers,
jamal