Subject: Re: [WIP][PATCHES] Network xmit batching

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:42:46 -0400

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 09:49 -0400, jamal wrote:

> If you help out, when you post your results, can you please say what
> hardware and setup was?

Ok, i have tested on new hardware with pktgen:

Machine: Dual Xeon processor with EMT64 - kernel is 32 bit.
Chipset: E7520 Memory Controller Hub (MCH). The block diagrams claim
direct connection between the MCH and PCI Express ...
Ethernet: 6 ethernet ports - e1000 82571EB.

The results are just too good i am getting worried ;->
Pktgen with plain vanilla 2.6.22-rc4 - small packets (64 B on the wire)
i.e zero changes. Avg throughput is 747Kpps
2.6.22-rc4 with batching changes as in the git tree avg throughput is
1087Kpps

That is about 45% improvement.

Note, in theory - didnt try this - you could run one ethernet port per
CPU and get equivalent improvement per CPU.

I would really really like other people to test ;->

cheers,
jamal