Subject: Re: [WIP][PATCHES] Network xmit batching

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:43:28 -0400

KK,

On Fri, 2007-08-06 at 17:01 +0530, Krishna Kumar2 wrote:

> I thought it comes to 1.147Mpps, or did I calculate wrong
> (70*1024*1024/8/8) ?

I assumed 8B to mean data that is on top of TCP/UDP?
If so then in the case of UDP we have 8B UDP header, 20B IP and 14B
ethernet < 64B minimal allowed Ethernet packet; so it gets padded and
goes out as 64B.
There are, as you state above, 1.147(or is it 1.48?) such packets/sec in
1Gbps.
So (70Mbps/1000Mbps)*1.147 is the rough number i was reffering to.

> My script was doing that earlier, I trimmed all that to make it easier
> to understand. Will post the larger version later.

That will be nice because remember we can have multiple CPU packet
producers but only one CPU consumer.

> > no problem.
> 
> Thanks, please let me know what you think of the patch I sent earlier.

I havent seen a patch. Can you resend it?

> I am running a larger 5 iteration run with buffer sizes :8,32,128,512,1
> K,4K,16K.
> It is going to run for around 12 hours and since I am moving house during
> the
> weekend, I will be able to look at the results only on Monday.
> 

sounds good.

cheers,
jamal