Subject: Re: [PATCH] NET: Multiqueue network device support.

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:32:15 -0400

On Wed, 2007-13-06 at 13:56 +0800, Zhu Yi wrote:

> The key argument for Jamal's solution is the NIC will send out 32
> packets in the full PHL in a reasonably short time (a few microsecs per
> Jamal's calculation). But for wireless, the PHL hardware has low
> probability to seize the wireless medium when there are full of high
> priority frames in the air. That is, the chance for transmission in PHL
> and PHH is not equal. Queuing packets in software will starve high
> priority packets than putting them to PHH as early as possible.
> 

The key arguement i make (from day one actually) is to leave the
majority of the work to the driver.
My view of wireless WMM etc is it is a different media behavior
(compared to wired ethernet) which means a different view of strategy
for when it opens the valve to allow in more packets. 802.11 media has
embedded signalling which is usable. Guy Cohen gave a good use case
which i responded to. Do you wanna look at that and respond?

cheers,
jamal