Subject: Re: [WIP][PATCHES] Network xmit batching

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:24:45 -0400

On Tue, 2007-19-06 at 17:21 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

> I've ran several simple tests with desktop e1000 adapter I managed to
> find.

Mucho gracias Evgeniy. 

> Test machine is amd athlon64 3500+ with 1gb of ram.
> Another point is dektop core duo 3.4 ghz with 2 gb of ram and sky2
> driver.
> 
> Simple test included test -> desktop and vice versa traffic with 128 and
> 4096 block size in netperf-2.4.3 setup.
> 

Sounds good enough for starters. 

> Test machine runs 2.6.22-rc5-batch and mainline tree (there is a test
> with 2.6.22-rc4 and there is a noticeble performance win compared to
> that tree in the latest git, likely tcp congestion changes resulted in
> better utilisation). 

Do you have tso on/off? I suspect youd see better numbers with tso off.

> Batched xmit has better numbers.

Much appreciated. It would be useful to sort of measure CPU utilization
as well (my understanding is netperf4 is more capable of that).
I think the benefit would be a lot more visible as the number of flows
goes up (simply because there will be a lot more packets/sec going into
the driver).

cheers,
jamal