Subject: Re: pktgen terminating condition

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:08:40 -0400

On Wed, 2007-29-08 at 18:32 +0200, Robert Olsson wrote:

>  Yes it's synchronization issue... the test is over and we have sent 
>  all pkts to the device but pktgen cannot free the skb for it still 
>  has refcounts. 

Ok, right.

I was confusing it with another issue where pktgen could send a lot of
packets without waiting for them to be freed; there are some drivers
(10G) which may hold onto 8K skbs. A gazillion ooms start spewing ;-> My
thinking in resolving that was to do something like waht sockets do and
charge pktgen so it doesnt have too many outstanding packets in flight.

>  IMO must drivers have provisions to handle situation like. 

Mandeep was saying he found less than a handful that didnt conform.

> I'll 
>  guess we can discuss last-resort timer if it should be us, ms 
>  or possibly seconds but shouldn't need ping to make this happen. 
>  If so we probably have a ICMP packet sitting there waiting instead.  

I think as long as it doesnt affect throughput calculation (it just adds
to idle time) its fine.

cheers,
jamal