Subject: BUG: skge ethernet breakage (PCI: Unable to reserve mem region)

From: Jan Gukelberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:42:35 +0200

Hi,

I originally reported this bug to the Debian BTS:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=441232
There I was told to talk directly to upstream.

I am pasting the original bug report below. The referenced text files
can be found at the mentioned BTS URL. 
Additionally, I have just tried Linux 2.6.23-rc5 and am attaching the
corresponding dmesg output.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jan

With recent kernels my on-board network adapter does not work any more.
This is a Marvell Gigabit Ethernet Controller on an Asus P5B-V
mainboard.

This is the same bug as #428452 reported earlier against
linux-image-2.6.21-1-amd64. (Sorry for the duplicate, I didn't know how
to extend the old report to newer kernel versions.)
In fact, the network adapter hasn't been working since then, i.e. the
last working kernel image was 2.6.20-1-amd64 (which I am using now). The
following images 2.6.2[12]-[12]-amd64 have all exposed the same problem.

The key problem seem to be the following lines in dmesg:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:04.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:4000@ff9f8000 for device 0000:04:04.0
skge 0000:04:04.0: cannot obtain PCI resources
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:04:04.0 disabled
skge: probe of 0000:04:04.0 failed with error -16
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm attaching full 'dmesg' output from working (2.6.20-1) and broken
(2.6.22-2) kernel versions as well as the output of 'lspci -vvv' on the
most recent kernel.

If you need any other information or I can try something please let me
know.