Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3][NET_BATCH] net core use batching

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:17:24 -0400

On Mon, 2007-08-10 at 10:33 +0530, Krishna Kumar2 wrote:

> > As a side note: Any batching driver should _never_ have to requeue; if
> > it does it is buggy. And the non-batching ones if they ever requeue will
> > be a single packet, so not much reordering.
> 
> On the contrary, batching LLTX drivers (if that is not ruled out) will very
> often requeue resulting in heavy reordering. Fix looks good though.

Two things: 
one, LLTX is deprecated (I think i saw a patch which says no more new
drivers should do LLTX) and i plan if nobody else does to kill 
LLTX in e1000 RSN. So for that reason i removed all code that existed to
support LLTX.
two, there should _never_ be any requeueing even if LLTX in the previous
patches when i supported them; if there is, it is a bug. This is because
we dont send more than what the driver asked for via xmit_win. So if it
asked for more than it can handle, that is a bug. If its available space
changes while we are sending to it, that too is a bug.

cheers,
jamal