Subject: Re: [PATCHES] TX batching

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:05:20 -0400

On Mon, 2007-08-10 at 16:51 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

> it looks like you and Krishna use the same requeueing methods - get one
> from qdisk, queue it into blist, get next from qdisk, queue it,
> eventually start transmit, where you dequeue it one-by-one and send (or
> prepare and commit). This is not the 100% optimal approach, but if you
> proved it does not hurt usual network processing, it is ok.

There are probably other bottlenecks that hide the need to optimize
further.

> Number of comments dusted to very small - that's a sign, but I'm a bit
> lost - did you and Krishna create the competing approaches, or they can
> co-exist together, in the former case I doubt you can push, until all
> problematic places are resolved, in the latter case, this is probably
> ready.

Thanks. I would like to make one more cleanup and get rid of the
temporary pkt list in qdisc restart; now that i have defered the skb
pre-format interface it is unnecessary.  I have a day off today, so i
will make changes, re-run tests and post again.

I dont see something from Krishna's approach that i can take and reuse.
This maybe because my old approaches have evolved from the same path.
There is a long list but as a sample: i used to do a lot more work while
holding the queue lock which i have now moved post queue lock; i dont
have any speacial interfaces/tricks just for batching, i provide hints
to the core of how much the driver can take etc etc. I have offered
Krishna co-authorship if he makes the IPOIB driver to work on my
patches, that offer still stands if he chooses to take it. 

cheers,
jamal