Subject: Re: Endianness problem with u32 classifier hash masks

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:06:29 -0500

On Mon, 2007-05-11 at 14:52 +0100, Jarek Poplawski wrote:

> It seems this performance loss shouldn't be so big because ntohl()
> is probably quite well optimized in assembler. But, as I've written,
> since there is max. 1 byte meaningful to us there is some additional
> possibility to get it other way, but I doubt it's worth to bother,
> and this can be done with some later patch, after all.

Agreed on optimizing later. It will probably keep nagging at me for
sometime....

> If we manage to convince Jamal, IMHO a patch to something current like
> 2.6.24-rc1-git14 (or maybe -rc2 soon), should suffice (plus some
> options to diff to get function names etc. eg.: diff -Nurp). Try with
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches. Git isn't necessary at all. And don't
> forget about a changelog.

That code hasnt changed at all in a few years, so even against
2.6.24-rc1 should be fine and can be applied cleanly to Daves net-2.6.
Radu, please refer to my earlier email on things to try.

cheers,
jamal