Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: James Bottomley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:09:14 -0600

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 11:56 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:08:47 +0100
> 
> > In fact this thread is the very example: David points out that on netdev 
> > some of those bugs were already discussed and resolved. Had it been all 
> > on lkml we'd all be aware of it.
> 
> That's a rediculious argument.
> 
> One other reason these bugs are resolved, is that the networking
> developers only need to subscribe to netdev and not have to listen to
> all the noise on lkml.
> 
> People who want to manage bugs know what list to look on and
> contact about problems.
> 
> Dumping even more crap on lkml is not the answer.

I agree totally with David, and this goes for SCSI too.  If it's not
reported on linux-scsi, there's a significant chance of us missing the
bug report.  The fact that some people notice bugs go past on LKML and
forward them to linux-scsi is a happy accident and not necessarily
something to rely on.

LKML has 10-20x the traffic of linux-scsi and a much smaller signal to
noise ratio.  Having a specialist list where all the experts in the
field hangs out actually enhances our ability to fix bugs.

James