Subject: Re: [PATCH net-2.6][NEIGH] Updating affected neighbours when about MAC address change

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:33:20 -0500

On Sun, 2007-23-12 at 08:17 -0500, jamal wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-23-12 at 22:04 +0900, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 wrote:
> 
> > If the secondary MACs are used with ARP/NDP, we should take care of
> > that, but I think we use the primary MAC for ARP/NDP, no?
> > (In other words, we always use primary MAC for ARP reply / NA, no?)
> 
> I think it maybe a policy decision; 

Never mind, that was my body being in a different time zone.
I went back and looked at a little chat i had with Patrick when he
posted with the macvlan driver.
At the moment we are still maintaining the model that a NIC can _only_
appear to have a single MAC to the upper layers. IOW, you have to
instantiate a macvlan device for each of the 16 MAC addresses on the
e1000 if you need to expose them. This means that the ip layer - even
with multiple ip addresses will only ever see one MAC address. 
Note also: The name macvlan is a little misleading since it allows for
the above without need for vlans.

cheers,
jamal