Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] Fixing SA/SP dumps on netlink/af_key

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:25:57 -0500

On Wed, 2008-16-01 at 16:28 +0200, Timo Teräs wrote:
[..]
> Creating a separate af_key patch would not be a big problem. I was
> just hoping avoiding it as the xfrm_state / xfrm_policy changes
> modify the API and requires changing af_key also.

The way dumping is done by xfrm_user is consistent across all netlink
not just ipsec. Thats why i said it had broader implications. 
OTOH, theres a clear issue with pf_key.

> No. I'm not creating second copies of the SADB/SPD entries. The entries
> are just added to one more list.

Ah, sorry - yes, that sounds reasonable.
So what happens if i delete an entry; does it get removed from the list?
Also what happens on modification?

> If more entries are added, you can get notifications of them.

how would a user app (example racoon) appropriately deal with it?
Example an entry sits in the dump-list, it gets deleted - an event gets
generated user-space and later that entry shows up in user space dump.

cheers,
jamal