Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] Fixing SA/SP dumps on netlink/af_key

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:42:30 -0500

On Thu, 2008-17-01 at 07:54 +0200, Timo Teräs wrote:

> You listen for the events. It is guaranteed that if the dumping code
> does return the entry to be deleted, the deletion notification will
> occur after that dump entry.

Ok, sounds reasonable - as long as there is a known order for
occurances, then there will be no ambiguity.
I am assuming that the same ordering will happen with
updates/modifications?
To go back to what i suggested earlier - is it possible to have this in
two stages? First pfkey with expected behavior being the same as current
netlink; then later the optimizations you are talking about.

Looking at the pfkey RFC one more time, heres a funny quote:
"
The dump message is used for debugging
purposes only and is not intended for production use.
"

One thing Dave mentioned thats extremely important is to ensure no ABI breakage. 
Think of racoon 0.6 which knows nothing of this; it should continue to work.

Dave: One reason i paid attention to this is because it was on your TODO
list from netconf 2005 ;-> It has just been sitting in the background
memory cells since.

cheers,
jamal