Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] [PATCH] Split up rndis_host.c

From: Jussi Kivilinna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:40:30 +0200

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 03:19 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > Our 
> > module version checks OID_GEN_PHYSICAL_MEDIUM in generic_rndis_bind,
> > with rndis_host bind fails if OID is supported and wireless media
type
> > is returned, with rndis_wext if OID isn't supported or type isn't
> > wireless. Should this be ok?
> 
> Sounds like if you can go the different-modules route, then
rndis_bind()
> should maybe accept a parameter giving it that option.  Then
> 
>       rndis_wlan_bind(...) == rndis_bind(..., check_wlan_media)
>       rndis_generic_bind(...) == rndis_bind(..., non_wlan_media)
> 
> That would be getting pretty complicated, since as you say the same
> USB-level binding (hence hotplugging) would need to kick in ... but
> having different modules for different RNDIS flavors would need a 
> new hotplug mechanism keying on media type.  Ugh.

Different modules works with rndis_generic_bind(..., media type option).
dmesg shows following:

[11214.496773] usb 3-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 7
[11214.622861] usb 3-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[11214.784874] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[11214.805700] rndis_host 3-3:1.0: driver requires wired physical
medium, but device is wireless.
[11214.806823] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
[11215.190824] wlan0: register 'rndis_wext' at usb-0000:00:10.3-3,
Wireless RNDIS device, 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
[11215.190853] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_wext
[11215.398850] rndis_wext 3-3:1.0: rndis media disconnect

I assume that rndis_host gets always bind first as it's first in
alphabetic, so rndis_wext is only loaded if RNDIS device has wireless
media type.

I have new patchset that prepares rndis_host/usbnet for separate
rndis_wext but not sure should I submit (I haven't managed to get into
contact with Bjorge Dijkstra for 3,5 weeks now to have him decide how to
proceed). 

 - Jussi Kivilinna