Subject: Re: [PATCH net-2.6.26] netlink: make socket filters work on netlink

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:25:06 -0400

On Wed, 2008-02-04 at 14:09 +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Yes, but it was the use of current->pid that was wrong.

There are many many apps out there which still use ioctls - hence the
ambiguity of "is it the kernel that generated the command that caused
the event or was it merely a proxy for some app". 
You need to resolve that. 

> If one of those calls are in a path invoked through netlink
> it should set nlmsg_pid.

Nod - I think thats mostly taken care of; havent looked lately. I know
Alexey didnt object to any patches i submitted that did change how
nlmsg_pid was set on events to match this thought and I cant think of a
reason it would violate any netlink ettiquette. 

Note, I find the whoddunit field (not the pid) to be also useful for
aesthetics and debugging other than for the non-ambiguity in the
filtering.

cheers,
jamal