Subject: Re: Realtek 8111c weirdness problems, apic/msi, and normal bug

From: Kasper Sandberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 03:11:55 +0200

Sorry for top posting, but its just easier in this case :)

I may have just gotten some new information to share.

I just built -git8. and the nic didnt work.. by booting with
noapic/nomsi i got it running though. then i did some tests, and
rebooted into the default(has worked mostly for me) noapic/msi boot.
Then it worked.

i did get some interresting information though, which i think may help
to fix the problem..

if its a boot where the nic works, i can usually rmmod/modprobe the
module once without it giving error, however if its a boot where the nic
doesent work, first time i rmmod and modprobe, it gives me an error..

the error is:
PCI: cache line size of 32 is not supported by device 0000:05:00.0
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
r8169: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -22

I have attached some dmesgs(sorry, but my client messes up inlines..)
also.. link detecting isnt working properly, sometimes it will detect a
link as down after a while.. its quite weird..

(oh, and this time its without nvidia just to be 100000% sure)

I hope this can help to get it resolved, alot of people are having
problems with these controllers.. i can however confirm that a similar
controller is working perfectly on a friends gigabyte motherboard, thats
with P35 chipset though, i have X48. He has only 1 of them onboard.

also something which may be of interrest, realtek offers a modified
r8169 driver called "r8168", which supposedly fixes this. I have been
unable to get it to compile though, but i saw it on ubuntu forums.

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 14:17 +0200, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 06:09 +0200, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
> > Hello.
> > 
> > I apologize, but it will have to wait a few days, as the fan on the
> > graphics card just broke, and it overheats almost instantly.
> > 
> > I will post as soon as possible, sorry for the inconvenience.

<snip>
> 
> 
> 
> > > 
> > 
> > --
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > the body of a message to [email-masked]
> > More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> 
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/