Subject: Re: PATCH WAS( Re: [ANNOUNCE] iproute2 v2.6.25

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:45:27 -0400

Scanning that region of u32 that changed:
show_key() certainly assumes IPv4 (it will fail if we filter on IPV6,
ARP etc). I think this is even more reason to do the cooked variant as
the non-default.
Let me know if you are ok with changing that and i will invest time
"cooking" patches ;-> 

BTW, speaking of scripts and command line output changes (and to
emphasize my earlier comments):
A lot of people managing router configuration out there in the wild do
write parsers that depend on how output looks like (typically a
send/expect interaction)[1]. They invest time in writting such scripts.
In an old job at one point, a customer was adamant they wouldnt buy our
new super-dupper device merely because we changed the command output by
iirc removing a ":" in one of them. Theyd have to rewrite things and go
through whole regression testing.

cheers,
jamal
[1] Contrary to popular theory that provider use SNMP to do router
config (as found out by some study related to the IETF). Things are
changing a little with newer protocols showing up at the IETF to address
these sort of issues.