Subject: Re: PATCH WAS( Re: [ANNOUNCE] iproute2 v2.6.25

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:21:59 -0400

On Mon, 2008-21-04 at 15:39 +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> 
> Yes, that would be nice, the iproute netlink infrastructure is really
> lagging behind. 

Agreed.

> I'm not sure which way would be preferrable, build
> something new on top of libnl without disturbing existing users or
> gradually port iproute on top of libnl, probably starting with the
> netlink infrastructure.

I would say build something new would be the proper way to go. Maintain
output of ip/tc/ifconfig/route and phase them out slowly.

> Yes, its a bit overwhelming at the beginning because of all
> those knobs, but the simple things are actually real easy :)

The majority of new users out there may not have the same challenges i
had:
I wanted to do some simple things in a short period; i knew how to use
libnetlink - i thought the mapping would be easy to follow from
libnetlink to libnl; after a few hours, rather than investing more time
i found it easier to update things on top of libnetlink.
People who are totaly starting may find it easier to learn libnl first.
I certainly do plan to poke fingers at libnl - i just happen to have
something that works.

cheers,
jamal