Subject: Re: [PATCH 12/30] mm: memory reserve management

From: Matt Mackall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:59:34 -0500

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 12:39 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> Also, you might have noticed, I still need to do everything SLOB. The
> last time I rewrote all this code I was still hoping Linux would 'soon'
> have a single slab allocator, but evidently we're still going with 3 for
> now.. :-/
>
> So I guess I can no longer hide behind that and will have to bite the
> bullet and write the SLOB bits..

I haven't seen the rest of this thread, but I presume this is part of
your OOM-avoidance for network I/O framework?

SLOB can be pretty easily expanded to handle a notion of independent
allocation arenas as there are only a couple global variables to switch
between. kfree will also return allocations to the page list (and
therefore arena) from whence they came. That may make it pretty simple
to create and prepopulate reserve pools.

-- 
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.