Subject: Re: [PATCH] r8169: read MAC address from EEPROM on init

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:24:10 +0100

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 11:38 +0200, Ivan Vecera wrote:
> Francois Romieu wrote:
> > Ivan Vecera <[email-masked]> :
> > [...]
> >> OK :-), I hope the patch below is finally the right one.
> > 
> > My approval ratings won't surge today.
> > 
> > Is there a specific explanation for the 10 us delay ?
> > 
> > Realtek's 8168 / 8169 / 8101 drivers all use a (wildly copy'pasted ?)
> > 10 ms delay. I would not mind a 10 ms sleep.
> 'pci_vpd_pci22_wait' uses 100us(10x10us delay) for reading, there is 1ms
> (100x10us delay) in my patch, because 100us max. delay was too little for
> Realtek.

If the maximum delay there is too short, it should be increased.  As
I've said before, I picked a timeout that worked for me in the absence
of any time limit in the PCI specification.  I thought Stephen Hemminger
had modified it to work for sky2 but it looks like that change was
blocked by quibbling about how best to poll.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.