Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/32] Swap over NFS - v19

From: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 12:13:07 +0200

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 14:17 -0300, Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino wrote:
> Em Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:05:04 +0200
> Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]> escreveu:
> 
> | Patches are against: v2.6.27-rc5-mm1
> | 
> | This release features more comments and (hopefully) better Changelogs.
> | Also the netns stuff got sorted and ipv6 will now build and not oops
> | on boot ;-)
> | 
> | The first 4 patches are cleanups and can go in if the respective maintainers
> | agree.
> | 
> | The code is lightly tested but seems to work on my default config.
> | 
> | Let's get this ball rolling...
> 
>  What's the best way to test this? Create a swap in a NFS mount
> point and stress it?

What I do is boot with mem=256M, then swapoff -a;
swapon /net/host/$path/file.swp;

the file.swp I created using dd and mkswap on the remote host.

I then run 2 cyclic loops on anonymous memory sized 96mb, and run 2
cyclic loops on file backed memory on the same NFS mount
(eg /net/host/$path/file[12]), also sized 96mb

That gives a memory footprint of 4*96=384mb and will thus rely on paging
quite heavily.

While this is on-going you can have a little deamon that listens and
accepts connections and reads from them.

On a 3rd machine, start say a 1000 connections to this deamon that
continuously write stuff to it.

Then on you NFS host do something like: /etc/init.d/nfs stop

go for lunch

and when you're back do: /etc/init.d/nfs start

and see if all comes back up again ;-)