Subject: Re: 2.6.28-rc2 / hso driver oops

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:40:11 +0000

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 16:40 +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> Hi.
> 
> Tried out 2.6.28-rc2 today on my EEE 901 and my Option Icon 225 and got
> the following oops:
> 
> hso: drivers/net/usb/hso.c: 1.2 Option Wireless
> usbcore: registered new interface driver hso
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> hso0: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 000000d0
> IP: [<c03589b9>] dev_driver_string+0x1/0x2a

Something passed a null device pointer to dev_printk().

[...]
> [<f81b8265>] ? hso_create_net_device+0x305/0x32d [hso]
[...]

I think that hso_create_rfkill() is the culprit here (and has been
inlined into hso_create_net_device()).  It's using hso_dev->dev as the
first argument to dev_err() and it doesn't look like that field is
initialised except by kzalloc.  At a guess, it should be using
&hso_dev->usb->dev.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.