Subject: Re: Default offload settings in Ethernet drivers

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:52:48 +0000

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 20:30 +0100, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > I don't think there will be any difference. Linux (mainline) doesn't
> > do TOE. It does do segmentation offload, and any driver that can
> > do segmentation offload enables it by default.
> 
> Stephen,
> 
> Thanks for your reply. My experience with the r8169 driver is that it 
> does support rx checksumming, tx checksumming, scatter/gather and tcp 
> segmentation, but out of the above only enables rx checksumming by default.
> 
> The other two ethernet drivers I have hardware for don't support any 
> hardware-assisted offloads (that is: they all support generic 
> segmentation offload but that isn't hardware-assisted and it is also not 
> enabled by default).

Since v2.6.27, GSO is enabled by default for devices that can do TX
scatter/gather and checksum offload.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.