Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 09/12] clocksource: allow usage independent of timekeeping.c

From: Daniel Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 06:29:52 -0800

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 08:26 -0800, John Stultz wrote:

> Nice. The cyclecounter struct can work as a good base that I can shift
> the clocksource bits over to as I clean that up.
> 
> We will probably want to split this out down the road, but for now its
> small enough and related enough that I think its fine in the
> clocksource.h/c.
> 
> Also since Magnus has been working on it, does enable/disable accessors
> in the cyclecounter struct make sense for your hardware as well?
> 
> Also the corner cases on overflows (how we manage the state, should
> reads be deferred for too long) will need to be addressed, but I guess
> we can solve that when it becomes an issue. Just to be clear: none of
> the hardware you're submitting this round has wrapping issues? Or is
> that not the case?

Why wouldn't this just use a clocksource directly and not register it
with the timekeeping? The cyclecounter is just a subset of the
clocksource ..

Daniel