Subject: Re: Marvell 88E609x switch?

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:14:45 +0100

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:10 +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:

> If you will send me the current patches/code, then I'll use some time 
> monday to look at the register settings to see if I can spot the problem, 
> by corrolating with my device driver.

Looking through my old code I found this comment, which indicate that
you should take care of PPU (Phy Polling Unit) state... I had to support
both the 6095 and 6097 chip.

Cite code:

 /*** Setup PHY's ***/
 /*
   Accessing the PHY devices is special.  Direct access to a PHY
   device requires that the PPU (Phy Polling Unit) has been
   disabled.  The 6097 series support indirect access through SMI
   registers (GLOBAL_DEV2 registers 0x18 and 0x19).

   Disabling the PPU _here_ is not necessary, as the drivers R/W
   operation handles disabling the PPU or does indirect SMI access
   (if supported by the chip).

   Notice, that there is a catch with the 6097 SMI access, as it
   requires the PPU to be enabled (or else it will returns
   0xFFFF).
 */

Thus, you should make sure that the PPU is disabled during setup of the
PHYs.

Well, I don't think this will solve all your issues... I'm still looking
for the missing link...

-- 
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
  Jesper Brouer
  ComX Networks A/S
  Linux Network developer
  Cand. Scient Datalog / MSc.
  Author of http://adsl-optimizer.dk
  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer