Subject: Re: some tc commands fail on 2.6.29-rc6-git5, works on 2.6.28.7

From: John Dykstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:50:28 -0600

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 23:10 +0000, Joao Correia wrote:
> I have confirmed again that the exact same commands (as on the
> original message), work flawlessly on 2.6.28.7 without a hitch, and,
> AFAIK, work as intended. I have also tried the latest 2.6.29-rc6-git7
> and it still fails like on git6.

I have also reproduced this on Linus' latest 2.6.29-rc6 tree, using tc
version iproute2-ss071016 and a kernel config with all traffic control
features enabled.

The error reported by tc comes from the kernel-level check added by:

	commit c1b56878fb68e9c14070939ea4537ad4db79ffae
	Author: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
	Date:   Tue Nov 25 21:14:06 2008 -0800

    	tc: policing requires a rate estimator

    Found that while trying average rate policing, it was possible to
    request average rate policing without a rate estimator. This results
    in no policing which is harmless but incorrect.

    Since policing could be setup in two steps, need to check
    in the kernel.

    Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
    Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>

I got the same error when using the tc version iproute2-ss090115 built
this evening from the public git repository.

  -- John