Subject: Re: e100 firmware in 2.6.29-rc7?

From: Dan Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:12:02 -0400

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 13:05 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> 
> >> The config & dmesg is attached.  Some of the options are for patches we've
> >> added, and we even have a small patch in the e100 (but have had it there
> >> for years, so probably un-related to this).  Still, I will not complain
> >> if you decide to ignore the report.
> > [...]
> > 
> > Your config has CONFIG_E100=m, but CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL only
> > applies to firmware used by non-modular drivers.  The assumption is that
> > once userland is capable of loading modules it is also capable of
> > loading firmware.
> 
> Well, that's an annoyance.  Would it be that hard to allow modular drivers
> to compile-in their FW as well?  It would be a nice option for
> those of us trying to build portable pre-compiled kernels for various
> distributions and distribution versions.

Most of those distros will have firmware loading capability though,
right?  Every non-embedded distro (Fedora, RHEL, SUSE, Ubuntu,
Slackware, Mandriva, Xandros, etc) has it, so if you're building kernels
for those, there's not really a problem with dropping firmware into the
firmware directory for that distro, right?

Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apps built with the Adobe(R) Flex(R) framework and Flex Builder(TM) are
powering Web 2.0 with engaging, cross-platform capabilities. Quickly and
easily build your RIAs with Flex Builder, the Eclipse(TM)based development
software that enables intelligent coding and step-through debugging.
Download the free 60 day trial. http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-adobe-com