Subject: Re: 2.6.29-rc8: Reported regressions from 2.6.28

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:59:21 +0100

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 12:23 +0800, Jeff Chua wrote:

> *** this is in nopatch.fail ***
> 
> 2009-03-19T12:07:22.437578+08:00 boston kernel: ieee80211 phy0: U
> iwl_bg_request_scan Start direct scan for 'sdg2088a88'
> 
> 2009-03-19T12:07:24.337644+08:00 boston kernel: ieee80211 phy0: U
> iwl_bg_request_scan Start indirect scan.
> 
> 
> For the passing run, it's always "direct scan".

That's because of your 'iwlist wlan0 scan' command, it triggers an
indirect scan, if you did 'iwlist wlan0 scan essid sdg2088a88' you would
get a direct scan there. It's always 'direct' for when it passes because
then you don't get to the point where you scan again, I think.

All in all, I don't see much in the logs, it seems to be behaving
properly and asking for a direct scan when you set the essid. The kernel
will not try to connect to an encrypted network before you give it a
key, but "iwconfig wlan0 ap any" should trigger the association
process...

Can you do something else for me?

Get iw (some distros ship it, or see wireless.kernel.org) and enter this
command:
	iw dev wlan0 interface add moni0 type monitor flags none

Then,
	ip link set moni0 up

Start a capture:
	iwevent > /tmp/event.txt

Now do, in a separate shell:
	iwconfig wlan0 essid ...
	iwconfig wlan0 key ...

_Now_ start tcpdump:
	tcpdump -i moni0 -s 10000 -w /tmp/dump.pkt

and in a separate shell do:
	iwlist wlan0 scan last > /tmp/scan.txt ; iwconfig wlan0 ap any

(this is important in one command so it's timed closed together)

Send me the contents of all the files from a failed run please.

johannes